All-National Honor Ensembles
ANNOUNCING THE 2014 CONDUCTORS!
Concert Band: Mark Camphouse, Professor of Music, Conductor, Wind Symphony, George Mason University
Symphony Orchestra: Gerard Schwarz, Music Director, All-Star Orchestra, Music Director, Eastern Music Festival Conductor Laureate, Seattle Symphony
Mixed Choir: Edith Copley, Regents’ Professor, Director of Choral Studies, Northern Arizona University
Jazz: Robert Baca, Professor of Music, Director of Jazz Studies, University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire
Ensembles will perform at the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, Tennessee on Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Applications are open for 2014 All-National Honor Ensembles. Application fee is $30. Application deadline is May 16, 2014.
Eligibility for 2014:
The NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles represent the top performing high school musicians in the United States. In October of 2014, the ensembles will perform in Nashville, Tennessee under the baton of leaders in the field of music education. The NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles are represented in the following components:
- Concert Band
- Mixed Choir
- Symphony Orchestra
- Jazz Ensemble
Only students which meet the requirements below are eligible to apply for the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles. Please be sure to read the requirements carefully, as they have changed from previous years.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
- Be in grade 10, 11 or 12 during the 2014-2015 school year;
- Attend schools in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Department of Defense School in Europe or International.
- Students must be accepted to their states 2013-2014 All-State Festival. If no All-State festival is held during the 2013-2014 academic year the following festivals are acceptable: 2012-2013 All-State or Division festival. If your state MEA does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to receive an invitation to apply. Please contact Jane Balek (JaneB@nafme.org) for additional information if your state does not sponsor an All-State Festival.
- Be a member of his or her school’s choral, string, or instrumental ensemble corresponding with the ensemble for which application is made.
- Receive endorsement from his or her ensemble director. (*ensemble director must be a current member of NAfME).
(Disclaimer: All final eligibility decisions will be made by the state music educators association.)
Students must prepare 2 minutes of the piece they used for their all-state audition, OR 2 minutes of any piece of music on their state’s approved all-state audition repertoire list. The students must submit this as a VIDEO audition. For assistance with format, please contact email@example.com.
If your state does not publish an approved repertoire list, please choose a selection from standard solo repertoire that would be appropriate for high school festival or a college audition with guidance from your ensemble director.
After you have submitted your application, you will not be able to access it again. Be sure you have submitted the correct information. Following your submission, your application will be sent to the teacher that has nominated you for a position in the All-National Honor Ensembles where they will provide a recommendation and other personal information.
You will be contacted by NAfME staff in July 2014 regarding an admission decision for each ensemble.
Dates: October 26 – October 29, 2014
Students will arrive on Sunday and leave on Wednesday afternoon after their performance
Venue: Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, TN
Price: The cost for students is $650 is for quad housing at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, and includes meals from Monday morning through Wednesday morning, transportation to and from the airport, and other activities. Students are responsible for expenses related to travel to and from Nashville. Students who desire a double room will pay $850.
Chaperones: NAfME strongly encourages teachers of selected students to accompany students to Nashville as a chaperone. If more than one student is selected from a school, one teacher may accompany all students as a chaperone. More information will be available after students are selected.
2013 All-National Honor Ensembles
Order your concert CDs and DVDs from Soundwaves. https://www.soundwaves.org/shoppingcart/search.php?search_query=nafme&x=0&y=0
or use this form: NAfME 2013 National Honors CD DVD Orfer Form
Questions? Contact JaneB@nafme.org