Music In Our Schools Month
March is Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM)…
and Music In Our Schools Month means advocacy!
Music programs nationwide are in danger. State and local legislators are attempting to make up for funding shortfalls in this difficult economy by cutting education budgets, which can place school music at risk. Advocacy takes place on many fronts, and advocates for music education need to learn to speak to different audiences, each of whom has a key contribution to make. Music In Our Schools Month – March 2013 – is a perfect time to get involved and do your part to ensure that America’s students have access to a comprehensive, sequential music education taught by exemplary music educators!
Use the links above to find resources for participating in MIOSM and promote support for school music, and look below to find out what’s new for 2013 MIOSM!
- Share Your Story — How has music affected your life? Add your story to our growing collection and help NAfME convince decision makers that music must be protected in school.
- Why Music? Celebrity PSAs for MIOSM – Encourage your local radio stations to download and play on the air these 60-second celebrity messages about the importance of music education.
- Register for Your Flag Certificate – A U.S. Flag will be flown over the U.S. Capitol in honor of MIOSM. Register to receive a certificate of commemoration.
- Music Education Fact a Day for MIOSM – Follow NAfME on Twitter or “like” NAfME on Facebook. Each day in March, we will post a fact or quote that will reinforce the value and benefits of music education that you can share with your friends and followers.
- Music In Our Schools Month Webinar — Free! February 12. Register now.*
- What States Did for MIOSM 2011 — Check out what members around the country did to celebrate MIOSM 2011.
*Want to get a head start? Watch the 2012 Music In Our Schools Month Webinar.
2013 MIOSM Theme: “Music Education – Orchestrating Success”