Music In Our Schools Month
MARCH 2014 IS COMING!
Music programs nationwide are in danger. State and local legislators are attempting to make up for funding shortfalls in this difficult economy by cutting education budgets, which can place school music at risk. Advocacy takes place on many fronts, and advocates for music education need to learn to speak to different audiences, each of whom has a key contribution to make. Music In Our Schools Month – March 2014 – is a perfect time to get involved and do your part to ensure that America’s students have access to a comprehensive, sequential music education taught by exemplary music educators!
Use the links ABOVE to find resources for participating in MIOSM and to promote support for school music.
Use the links BELOW to find out what’s new for 2014 MIOSM!
- Share Your Story — Want to help NAfME convince decision makers in 2014 that music is something worth protecting in every school? There’s no more powerful way to do so than by sharing your own personal story about how music has affected YOUR life. Tell us about the first time you picked up a clarinet in sixth grade. Reminisce about how you finally learned to play your favorite piece of music on the piano. Describe the emotions you felt when your high school choral group performed at its annual concert. Add your story to our growing collection and be a part of something bigger than you ever imagined!
- Why Music? Celebrity PSAs for MIOSM – Encourage your local radio stations to download and play on the air these 60-second celebrity messages about the importance of music education. You can also use them in your own presentations!
- Register for Your Flag Certificate – A U.S. Flag will be flown over the U.S. Capitol in 2014 in honor of MIOSM. Register to receive a certificate of commemoration.
WHAT ELSE IS ON THE HORIZON FOR MIOSM 2014 -
- New “Broader Minded” Advocacy Page - with info you can share with everyone!
- School/Mall Performances – Locations and dates to be announced
- Disney / Give a Note Bus Tour with Danielle Barbery (Winner of NBC’s “The Voice”) – Details to come
- 2014 Concert for Music in Our Schools Month
- Music Education Fact a Day for MIOSM – Follow NAfME on Twitter or “like” NAfME on Facebook. Each day in March, we will post a fact or quote that will reinforce the value and benefits of music education that you can share with your friends and followers.
HOW MIOSM HAS BEEN CELEBRATED IN THE PAST –
- What States Did for MIOSM 2011 — Check out what members around the country did to celebrate MIOSM 2011.
- Want to get a head start? Watch the 2012 Music In Our Schools Month Webinar.